When you hear the word “budget,” what do you feel? Anxiety, excitement, indifference?
Budgets have really been given a bad rap. That’s because they are not properly done! Budgets are not fun sucking, time consuming, 10-page spread sheets. They aren’t a weapon or an excuse to neglect your dreams and live a vanilla life. And budgets certainly aren’t the paper trail you consult to investigate all your missing money. Isn’t that great news?!
So what are budgets???
Well, pick a really interesting place you would like to visit. Italy? France? Boston? Ireland? Vietnam?
Let’s pretend you have only 7 days to explore this place. How would you decide where to spend your time? Would you just show up and wing it? Or would you do some Google searches and talk with people who have already been there? Would you create a list of the places you really want to experience and figure out roughly how much time you need to get there and then explore? Would you create a general time line of what you want to do each day to make sure you get to the most interesting things before you have to go home?
Would you look at this travel plan and say, “This plan is a fun-killer?” No! It is actually your plan to have the most fun given your time restrictions!
That is was a budget is – a travel agenda for your hard earned money. It is the plan to ensure you get the most joy and life out of each dollar. It is your guide to ensure you are on course to create the life you really want. Doesn’t that sound like something you want in on?!
Cuz you know what isn’t fun??
- The stress of “How the crap am I going to pay for this??”
- Reaching your 50’s+ and realizing your body is starting to break down and you have nothing to show for all your hard work!
- Looking around and realizing nothing you own is actually yours!
- Feeling anxiety with each purchase wondering, “Did I just spend money that was supposed to go to something important?”
- Having life punch you in the the face and then getting kicked in the financial teeth because you *didn’t budget for a proper insurance plan!
Now THOSE are fun suckers!
Have you started your written budget yet? Click here for my FREE Budgeting 101 to help you.
*Did you notice I didn’t say “couldn’t” afford? Click here for my post “Money Trouble #8: I Can’t Afford It.
Are you properly insured? Is the budgeting process overwhelming?
Are you ready to learn to REALLY budget like a pro!
I would love to know what you think about budgeting! Leave a comment and follow me on facebook.